4 Classic pie recipes for National Pie Day
Every day is pie day to us, but on the 23rd the whole nation is celebrating National Pie Day. With that in mind, here are 4 classic pie recipes that you won’t be able to resist digging your fork into:
1) Savory Pecan Pie
- 1 c. sugar (light brown)
- 1/4 c. sugar (white)
- 1/2 c. butter
- large eggs
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. whole milk
- 1 tsp. extract of vanilla
- 1 c. pecans (chopped)
- Heat up the oven to 400 degrees F
- Place a sauce pan over low heat and melt the butter.
- In a medium bowl, add the eggs and beat them until foam forms
- Then, mix in the melted butter
- Add in the sugar and flour and mix until smooth
- Pour in the milk, pecans and vanilla
- Pour the mix into an unbaked 9-in pie crust
- Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, then lower the temp. to 350 degrees and bake for 30 – 40 minutes, or until done.
2) Peanut Butter Pie Recipe
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 c. smooth peanut butter
- 1 c. whole milk
- 16 oz. whipped topping
- 2 graham cracker crusts(9 inch)
- Mix together the cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Then add in the milk and peanut butter, then mix until smooth
- Next, add in the in whipped topping
- Then pour the mixture into the pie shells
- Cover and freeze until firm
3) Homestyle Apple Pie
- 1 9 inch pastry crust (double crust)
- 1/2 c. butter (unsalted)
- 3 tbsp. white flour
- 1/2 c. white sugar
- 1/2 c. brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 c. filtered water
- 8 green apples, peeled and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Melt butter in a sauce pan.
- Stir in flour to form a paste, then add in the sugars, water and bring to a boil.
- Lower the temperature and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Next lay the bottom crust in your pan.
- Add the apples on top and then cover them with the lattice crust.
- The sugar and butter liquid should now be poured over the crust slowly so that it doesn’t run off.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F.
- Then, lower the temperature to 350 degrees F, and bake for another 40 minutes
4) Pumpkin Pie
- 8 oz. softened cream cheese
- 2 c. pureed pumpkin
- 1 c. white sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ c. butter (melted)
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 c. half and half
- 1 tsp. extract of vanilla
- ½ tsp. cinnamon (ground)
- ½ tsp. ginger (ground)
- 1 pie crust
- Whip cream topping
- Heat up the oven to 350 degrees, then meanwhile…
- Mix the cream cheese until it is smooth, then beat in the pumpkin.
- When well combined, add the salt and sugar until smooth.
- Next add in the egg and yolks, cream, butter and mix well.
- Lastly are the flavorings that make the pie delicious; cinnamon, ginger and vanilla. Mix them in well.
- Then pour the mix into the pie crust and bake for about 50 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Let cool on a wire rack and then serve with whipped cream.
Enjoy your National Pie Day! You will be sure to with these 4 recipes.